No one knows what the body can do. -Spinoza

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vegan Milk Yum Yum


So, my doc told me that I'm not allowed to eat vegan anymore. He honestly told me that I was getting enough protein for "the average person" but that I was "not the average person" and so needed more protein. He didn't explicitly tell me I had to eat meat. But he did list off all these non-meat alternatives, and then look me hard in the face and say "those are good, but they're not enough." The ten-year old and I had a long talk about it, and decided the thing to do then was to go ahead and eat meat but to only eat it from sustainable and subsistence sources. Our family in Alaska does subsistence hunting and fishing, for example. Here in Flagstaff, Arizona there are a number of sustainable food sources we can rely on too. I still really strongly dislike standard dairy beverages though. I hate the aftertaste and the way they coat my mouth. Soy milk can get tiring too. So, we generally switch out the kind of non-dairy milk we get so that we don't get too much soy (also not good for the environment, or local agricultures--soy is pushing out other more sustainable crops all over the U.S. market), and so we don't always pay so much for hemp, or almond milk. Recently though we found this coconut drinking milk that I'm completely hooked on now. Oh god. It's incredibly good. Both of us recommend it--So Delicious Coconut Milk. Yum! It's excellent with a Chocolate Newman's O dipped in for snacking too.

No comments:

Post a Comment