No one knows what the body can do. -Spinoza

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wishful Thinking

Rachel Roy, F 2009
(If anyone does locate above pictured dress, please feel free to let me know.)

Dear Elaine,

We all know how much you like penpals, so I have written in advance of Christmas to, first, surprise you, and then, second, spur on the anticipatory tension that comes when I force you to wait until I actually arrive. A dress like me is tricky like that--so nonchalant in my draping you want to relax, so demanding in my color palette you can't help but pay attention.

Yes, despite the surprise, I am your Christmas present. I know it's hard to believe since your parents don't believe in the existence of such bright, or expensive clothing, and most of your friends are broke. Not to mention the fact that you have utterly resisted ever considering the merits of my dear, earnest designer until the vibrancy of her fabrics lured you in. But you are one of those rare people that looks good in such vibrant orange--thank your parents Alaska Native heritage for that--and considering your recent blog post on the vividly orange tow truck signs, your loved ones conspired to get together and search long and hard for me--this beautifully draped, asymmetrical, just-your-style, Rachel Roy dress that will look so good on you--so that you can dress up and laugh and laugh because you know that though you could dig out a car, even in designer RTW attire, and look good doing it, instead all you have to do the day you wear me is walk through town and smile.

Love,
Your new dress

p.s. I look forward to meeting you in person.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post? Audrey's favorite color is orange, so she and I will especially be awaiting the next installment of this relationship!!!

    ReplyDelete